We are three weeks into summer, and it's officially time to stop trying to make last season's clothes work and invest in some of this season's trends! Fortique Stylist Karen Curtis brings us a list of the top 10 summer must-haves. The great news is a lot of these trends will last well beyond this season (i.e., no wedge sneakers here :)) and are incredibly flattering. Enjoy Karen's post, and contact her here for additional style advice!
you have finished college and get started in your career, it is time to really
invest in quality pieces. Good investments in accessories and clothes can last
a lifetime, or at least until your next promotion. Before you take an entire
paycheck and hit the mall, you must take an inventory of what you already own
as it relates to current trends. Summer fashion immediately brings to mind;
color, light weight and fun pieces.
Check out this Pinterest board for a quick reference cheat sheet. The following list of items are what I think will round out your essential summer wardrobe:
1. Clutch: This is one of the most versatile pieces you can own. They can be worn day or night to jazz up any outfit! The color, shape and size can all be determined by your outfit or even your mood!
2. Floral: Floral blazers, skinny jeans, pants, shorts, dresses, swimming suits, blouses and skirts are all versatile pieces. Pattern mixing is still alive and well so do not be afraid to experiment with floral and stripes. Do not forget that floral prints can be worn on your accessories too!
3. Graphic: Go bold or go home! This is the perfect time to wear jumpers, A-line dresses and matching tops/pants. With this trend, keep accessories to a minimum and let the print make a statement.
4. High-Low Tops: Tops with high-low hemlines provide structure to an oversized silhouette. Think tees, blouses, jackets and knitwear with high-low hemlines in cropped, regular and tunic lengths. This is the time to rock a slimmer bottom to emphasize the high-low effect even more.
5. Lace: You may already own lace tops, skirts, jackets and dresses. Some other ways to rock the trend are via lace insets, scarves and shoes.
6. Loose Bottoms: What should come to mind are full skirts, wide legged pants, full skirts and shorts that move when you do!. Take a break from skinny jeans and pencil skirts and give those gams some air..
7. Pastels: This is one of my favorites because it adds an automatic feminine feel. Some of my favorite pastel colors are peach, lavender and mint.
8. Sportswear Separates: This trend is all about clean lines and even fun materials, like mesh. Sweatshirts, sneakers, silky track pants and baseball jackets in feminine shapes offer you a ton of opportunity to mix the trend with pieces you already own. I suggest wearing sporty attire with other items to create a sporty chic feel. Mixing the look with things already in your closet should be easy!
9. Statement Shoes: The perfect summer shoe is sleek and has one aspect that sets it apart. This summer, you cannot go wrong with ankle strap, cut out and/or kitten heel shoes.
10. White: Nothing beats a white on white look, in my humble opinion. Think white across ALL wardrobe items. From outerwear, jackets, tops and denim vests, to jeans, pants, skirts, shorts, dresses, belts, footwear, hats and bags.
Thanks for the tips, Karen! Time to go shopping. Let Karen know if you have any questions or comments about this post at http://fortique.com/provider/personalstyle/karen.
Have a great Monday!
Steph, Karen, & The Fortique Team